FRIENDS OF NORTHERN WISCONSIN LIBRARIES

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

THE MARTIANS HAVE LANDED IN NEW JERSEY


October 30th, 1938 ........ Orson Welles broadcast his "War of the Worlds" radio program. Thousands were terrorized.
Not me! I was 13 days old and was not yet into listening to the radio. I was specializing in drowning out the radio with my cries to be fed.
The broadcast was an amazing event. When you listen to recordings of that show now, it's hard to believe that so many people were duped. However, Americans were nervous with the conflicts which had already began in Europe and China and were primed to believe just about any terrible thing that they heard on the airwaves.
Orson Welles, a Wisconsin native, went on to many great performances. Citizen Kane is still regarded by many as one of the greatest movies every made.
I'm not sure how much radio I'll be listening to today. However, if I tune into PBS and hear Garrison Keillor talking about Martians invading Lake Wobegon, well ..........................
You can actually download the radio broadcast onto Real Audio and listen to the full one-hour show at http://www.earthstation1.com/wotw.html

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home