FRIENDS OF NORTHERN WISCONSIN LIBRARIES

Saturday, December 16, 2006

CHRISTMAS TREES


This old photo reminds me much of Christmas trees my family had when I was a child. The tree we got was really of little consequence as my father always put on so much tinsel that you virtually could not see the tree. The process of putting the tinsel on was very precise, slow, and laborious. (Much like a "MONK" program I saw last year). And the process of taking the tinsel off was more of the same. My dad always had to save as much of the tinsel as possible for use the following year.

This year my wife and I cut down a tree on a tree farm on a cold and windy day. I'm afraid we didn't waste much time in making a selection. We were freezing and all the trees were trimmed and looked very good. When we came to putting the tree in our stand and starting to decorate it, we found it had a trunk like a snake. Despite having a nice shape, in some places the branches are 18" long on one side and 3 feet long on the opposite side. We started to get angry but couldn't stay that way for very long, because the tree is so funny. We laugh more every time we take a look at it.

I guess one solution would be to put on tinsel like my father used to do, but I don't have the patience for that. I will put on as many ornaments as I can to try to cover up the flaws. I'll pile the presents up high (instead of wide) under the tree to try to hide the weird angle at which the trunk comes out of the stand. And if our friends and family laugh at our tree, we'll just laugh along with them. We've been doing that already!

1 Comments:

Blogger Phyllis said...

When I was a child, we also used lots of tinsel. Each strand was carefully put on the tree and equally carefully taken off and draped over cardboard to be used again next year. The thriftiness of my parents wasn't the only reason we saved the tinsel. It provided continuity from year to year, and from generation to generation. You see, some of that tinsel had been used on my grandparent's tree!

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home