FRIENDS OF NORTHERN WISCONSIN LIBRARIES

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

THE PAINTED VEIL

I recently read a very glowing review of the movie THE PAINTED VEIL. I purchased a copy and found it to be a great investment. Both my wife and myself liked the movie very much. The scenery is terrific and the acting well done. I particularly like the performance of Diana Rigg as the Mother Superior of a convent. It's the story of a doctor and his wife and a cholera epidemic in China.

This movie has been done before in the '30s and is derived from a 1925 novel written by Sommerset Maugham. After enjoying the movie, I decided to read the novel. As is frequently the case, the novel is even better than the movie. I also found that the movie ends at a convenient point only about 2/3 of the way through the story. So if you view the film, you won't be bored by the book as it carries to completion this amazing story of England and China in the '20s. Per usual, Maugham is superb in character development.

Both the film and novel get 2 thumbs up from me. Give either or both a shot!

The graphic is the DVD cover as displayed on Amazon.com

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home